Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Diabetes Rotation

I spent a couple of weeks with an outpatient Diabetes Education Center. During this time I was able to sit in on a few group classes that they conduct on a regular schedule. The topics included diet, exercise, stress management, diabetes basics, and sick days. They were tailored to a crowd newly diagnosed with diabetes, but even though I have learned about the disease through my own education at TCU I still learned a lot.

The attendees to the classes made it interesting too. We had a couple of war veterans who talked about their time in the service and a class clown in one. The group classes lasted about 4 hours, so there was a lot of information presented to them during those times.

I also had the opportunity to sit in on some individual sessions. These patients come in for yearly follow ups to the Diabetes center to check on their diet, medications and blood sugar history. During one of the sessions I had the opportunity to practice a little bit of carbohydrate counting with food models. I love food models, they look so real!


One of the afternoons during this rotation, the Diabetes Education Center hosted a come and go Diabetes Education Session for the nursing staff at the hospital. They had several booths set up for the nurses to come and learn how to correctly check blood sugars, use the different glucometers (blood sugar meter), how to use the different insulin devices, a brief carbohydrate counting breakdown, and what other medical conditions individuals with diabetes are at risk for.

I got to check my own blood sugar using a glucometer!


Though it wasn't at the ideal time (you're supposed to check before eating and two hours after a meal, I did it just 1 hour after), I got a reading of 109, which is in the normal range. However, it was interesting to try it out, because I had never used one before. I will say I was a little nervous because you do have to prick your finger to get blood to test, but the lancing devices they have now make it almost painless. I barely felt it prick my finger, so if I do have to check my blood sugar regularly (which of course I'm hoping I don't) I shouldn't be afraid.

On a side note, I must say congratulations to my great friend Stephanie who married the man of her dreams December 1, 2012. I was fortunate enough to be a part of the wedding part and we had a blast! My favorite part was when the groom started repeating the pastor when it was Stephanie's turn. "I Stephanie..."

The BEAUTIFUL bride and myself
Onto my last and final rotation for the semester!!

~Brittani

This scripture my fabulous friend Lacy recently shared and I found it most appropriate. Thanks Lacy!!

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and mighty things you do not know." ~ Jeremiah 33:3




No comments:

Post a Comment