Friday, August 24, 2012

How To Be A Registered Dietitian

I have been living in the nutrition/dietetic student mode for almost 10 years now and have realized that many of you don't know what it takes to become a Registered Dietitian, so I figured this was a good time as any to give a brief breakdown of the requirements.

To become a Registered Dietitian requires two steps:

Step 1: Receive a Bachelor of Science Degree from accredited university


Step 2: Complete a 1200 hour Supervised Practice Program (aka Internship)


Seems simple right?! Well considering it took me almost 3 years to secure an internship, it's quite the contrary.

There are two ways to complete these requirements.
Option One: Coordinated Program: this entails completing the internship hours while also completing your Bachelor's Degree
Option Two: Complete Bachelor's Degree and apply for internships after graduation

I highly recommend if you plan to be a RD, choose Option One!! It will be more work at the time, but less headaches later as I have come to realize.

I originally enrolled as an option two graduate during my first round at TCU, completed my Bachelor's Degree and applied to internships. Applying to internships is not like applying to graduate school, it is based on a computer matching program that occurs twice a year.

To be matched for an internship you send in your application to all the internships you are interested in, this could be 1 location, 5 locations or as many as you wish. Once your information is submitted, you rank each internship you applied to as 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc. This is where the computer "matches" you to your location, as the individual internships rank you as well: top choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc. however many rankings they have. On match day, you will log into your account and either get instructions to contact you matched internship or a message stating you were unmatched, this day could be awesome or depressing. Essentially if you rank the internship the same way they rank you, you've matched. Congrats!!


Supervised Practice/Internships are offered on their own or in combination with graduate school. Some locations offer Master's Degrees with completion of internship hours, this usually is about two years, and some offer graduate school credit with internship completion and others are solely internship hours, these are only about a  year. Almost all programs are unpaid, so you are paying to work for them. Hooray!

Now for my take on this computer matching system... I don't think it works quite that simply, my theory is that you are only matched if the internship you rank 1st choice also ranks you in their top tier, and I say this because statistically only 50% of applicants are matched each round. (statistics from www.eatright.org) So 50% of students that complete their Bachelor's Degree are stuck in limbo to either try again next round or go for Plan B.

(As a side note, the internships receive over 100 applications for typically only 8-12 spots.) There are just not enough internships available for students.

And I was that 50% rejected for three years as I applied, reapplied and reapplied again to be matched for an internship. Strike 3 you're out!!! I was already on my way to completing my teaching certificate (my plan B) when I got the phone call to apply for TCU's Coordinated Program. No computer matching required! AMEN!! I am one of the lucky few, as unfortunately many Nutrition and Dietetic students are unable to complete the second requirement to be a RD.

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has recently become aware of this situation and is trying to come up with a solution. One problem is that there is a novel's worth of paperwork to complete just to be a preceptor/supervisor. To start up a new internship program is a huge task and encyclopedia series worth of paperwork and red tape. So it seems they want to expand the possibilities, but not make it easier for individuals to offer more availability. (just my opinion)



Their current alternative option they are working on is called ISPP (Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway). The student will submit their application to the currently 9 schools participating and if accepted, will line up their own supervisors in their area to complete the 1200 hours. This is new program launched September 2011 and I'm interested to see the turnout and how successful it is.

To any of you interested in this career path get good grades, network, be involved, network, volunteer, good luck, and did I say network? I love my field and feel extremely honored and blessed to be where I am now and if you're willing to put in the effort go for it. Networking is how I got to be where I am, by keeping in touch with my TCU professors, which is why I can't stress enough the importance of it. I am one lucky girl. Rah Rah TCU!!!

~Brittani

"There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." ~Proverbs 23:18

One of my favorite verses and so appropriate:

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' " ~ Jeremiah 29:11




No comments:

Post a Comment