Friday, March 8, 2013

Spring Break is Here!

Spring Break is upon us and I am very  much looking forward to the break from school. Though I will be working for most of it, it will be nice to not have studying or projects to worry about. Some funny pics I came across that might entertain you (they gave me quite a laugh):



This also marks the end of our community rotation and when we return from break we will begin our culiminating rotations in which I will be at the county hospital for more clinical and the rest of the crew will be at various locations throughout the metroplex. One of the girls will be at WIC working with the breastfeeding counselor, a couple will be a children's hospitals, one will be managing a hospital foodservice, another one will be working with a dietitian who specializes in bariatric surgery, and various other places. I'm excited to hear about everyone's site that they have chosen.

As our community rotations wrapped up my group had a health booth at the TCU Campus Gym, filmed a short video on low sodium and presented a nutrition education session to faculty and staff at TCU. These were the two information handouts I created.



Our Tuesday night nutrition/cooking class came to an end this week. I will definitely miss our group of awesome women, but I am also glad to get my Tuesday nights back and not have 12+ hour days. Our last night with them we had them complete an "Iron Chef" challenge with foods that we provided. They were split up into 3 teams of 3 and of course everyone won, but it was fun watching them come up with dishes.

Group 1: Salmon on Crackers, Bean Dip and Fruit Salad

Group 2: Pasta with Vegetables and Ground Turkey
Group 3: Pasta Salad, Black Beans and Veggie Tray (Can you see the carrot/pepper tree?! So creative!)

Two of the partcipants were so sweet and brought dessert to share with the whole class! Yummy!


On the left is a sweet cornbread and the right is a jelly roll cake topped with coconut. You can bet I had some of each!

Our food delivery rotation will continue throughout the semester, but we will only return twice before the end of the semester. The last day with them before spring break wasn't a bad one. We discussed one of the assignments with the dietitian and it was interesting hearing her comments and why she felt the assignment was beneficial to us. We had to create a 7 day meal plan (based on an individual's health issues) one meal plan was from a typical grocery store with a variety of options and another meal plan was to be created in a "food desert" such as a convenience store because that is what some individuals only have access to. Definitely fewer and more expensive options at the convenience store and our client needed to limit his sodium and there aren't many low sodium options at a 7-Eleven.

I hope all of my fellow classmates have safe and fun spring breaks (I know this is their last one before graduation!!!) And I can't wait to hear about them. Andy and I will be attending a wedding both weekends of spring break and working in between. Wedding season has officially begun!

On a side note, I came across this site that sells fun registered dietitian clothing/accessories and am planning to purchase this sweatshirt once I pass my exam to reward myself.

You can find it and additional clothing/accessory items here. 

~Brittani


"Consider it pure joy, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." ~James 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment